All dogs over the age of eight weeks within Richmond must be licenced with the City.
Benefits of Licencing your Dog
- Provides identification for your dog, allowing us to return your dog to you sooner, if lost or stolen.
- Provides statistics on the number of dogs within our community, which allows the City to be more responsive to the community's needs.
- Supports the Richmond Animal Shelter and other animal related programs within our community.
Dogs under eight weeks of age receive free licences. Dogs older than eight weeks of age are required to purchase a licence. The cost of licencing your dog will vary based on whether the dog is spayed or neutered, if it is deemed dangerous, and when you purchase the licence.
Licences purchased prior to the end of February of each year are at a discounted rate. After March 1 the full licence fee will apply. Dog owners who are aged 65 years or older receive a discounted rate before March 1, please see fees below. Licence fees for dogs deemed dangerous are listed below.
|Spayed or Neutered Dogs|
|Before March 1, 2013||$21.00(Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2013 (Seniors Rate)||$10.50 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2013||$31.50|
|Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2013||$52.25 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2013||$73.00|
|Dangerous Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2013||$157.00 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2013 (Seniors Rate)||$78.50(Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2013||$209.00|
|Dangerous Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2013||$209.00(Discounted)|
|After March 1, 2013||$261.00|
|Replacement for Lost Licence Tag|
How to Licence a Dog
Download and fill out the online licence application form and submit with payment.
2013 Dog Licence Application Form Application forms are also available at City Hall, located at 6911 No. 3 Road.
Things to Remember
- You must provide proof of spay or neuter before you can acquire a licence.
- Payment can be made by mail or in person.
- By mail in the form of a cheque (please make cheque payable to City of Richmond)
- In person at City Hall (cash, interac or cheque).
- Licence fees are non-refundable
- Licenses are not transferable
Once you have filled out the application form, please drop it off or mail it to:
Community Bylaws Department
City of Richmond
6911 No. 3 Road
Richmond BC V6Y 2C1
How to Update your Dog's File
You can update your dog's file by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 604-276-4036
- Phone: 604-247-4633
Dogs must be licensed for every calendar year. Spayed and neutered dogs that have been previously licensed with the City do not require proof of spaying or neutering when renewing licence.
The City of Richmond encourages responsible pet ownership through licencing, public education and enforcement. The penalty for an unlicensed dog is $300.00. The penalty for an unlicensed dangerous dog is $500.00.
To inquire about dog licences, please call 604-247-4633 or e-mail email@example.com.