Litter Prevention & Clean-up
Maintaining a litter-free city is a challenge given the number of people using public spaces in Richmond. City crews work seven days a week to collect litter from parks, school grounds, roadsides, sidewalks and boulevards. They also empty garbage from approximately 4,500 City litter and recycling receptacles in the community each week. As well, they collect illegally-dumped materials found on City property and provide safe disposal and recycling of these items. Together, these measures help to support a safe and appealing community. Here are some ways you can help prevent litter:
- Keep trash containers securely covered at home and at work.
- Secure your garbage inside plastic bags so it doesn't blow around when the collector empties your can.
- Clean up litter around your home or business.
- Leave parks and recreation areas clean for others to enjoy.
- Lead by example. Use only designated containers for depositing litter.
- Return all beverage containers for a deposit refund.