People • Excellence • Leadership • Team • Innovation
The City of Richmond is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community and customers, and support a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace culture and environment.
Our values are: People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
- Putting people first
- Fostering belonging and trust
- Supporting and encouraging staff growth and development
- Focusing on customer service
- Practicing continuous improvement
- Being accountable and taking responsibility for ourselves and our work
- Honesty, integrity and respect
- Effective and open communication
- Commitment to our purpose
- Focusing on our common goals and celebrating each other's efforts and successes
- Demonstrating concern for fellow team members
- Building on our strengths, individual perspectives, and collective knowledge
- Challenging the status quo
- Learning from others and from our past experiences
- Taking well-managed risks and unleashing our creativity
Aligning Values and Beliefs
Belief in your work and the values of your organization is essential for job satisfaction. Our employees are proud to share our core values of People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
"One of the many reasons I like working for the City of Richmond is that it empowers me to perform my job in the most effective and efficient manner. At Richmond, employee ideas are always welcomed and innovation is encouraged. One of our values is to strive for excellence and this has become our mantra in everything we do."