Lawn watering regulations take effect May 1
29 April 2019
Annual lawn watering regulations take effect starting on Wednesday, May 1 through Tuesday, October 15. The restrictions are in place to help conserve Metro Vancouver’s high-quality treated drinking water and ensure sufficient water is available through to the fall rainy season.
These region-wide watering regulations are part of Stage 1 in a 4-stage water restrictions plan outlined in Metro Vancouver’s Drinking Water Conservation Plan. They are an effective way to ensure residents in the region use drinking water wisely. The restrictions are enforced through the City of Richmond's Water Use Restrictions Bylaw No. 7784.
Stage 1 lawn watering regulations are as follows:
Residential lawn watering allowed:
- Even-numbered addresses: Wednesday and Saturday mornings 4 to 9 a.m.
- Odd-numbered addresses: Thursday and Sunday mornings 4 to 9 a.m.
- Watering trees, shrubs, decorative planters and flowers (excluding edible plants): Any day from 4 to 9 a.m. using a sprinkler; anytime using hand watering or drip irrigation.
Non-residential lawn watering allowed:
- Even-numbered addresses: Monday mornings 1 to 6 a.m. and Friday mornings 4 to 9 a.m.
- Odd-numbered addresses: Tuesday mornings 1 to 6 a.m. and Friday mornings 4 to 9 a.m.
- Watering trees, shrubs, decorative planters and flowers (excluding edible plants): Any day from 1 to 9 a.m. using a sprinkler; anytime using hand watering or drip irrigation.
Demand for water is at the highest during evening hours when residents require water for domestic uses such as dishwashing, laundry and showers. Watering lawns early in the morning helps reduce the peak demand on the water system.
Water restrictions are an excellent reminder to reduce non-priority water uses such as washing vehicles or non-permeable surfaces such as driveways.
The City of Richmond is also offering two free workshops on drip irrigation for gardens. Participants at the workshops will find out about the benefits of water-wise irrigation while learning to build a mini-drip system for the garden.
The workshops take place on Saturday, June 1, 2019 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at Richmond City Hall and Saturday, July 13, 2019 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at Terra Nova Rural Park. Registration is required. To register, visit www.richmond.ca/register or call 604-276-4300 between Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
For more information about Stage 1 water use restrictions, visit Metro Vancouver’s guide at www.metrovancouver.org/services/water/WaterPublications/DrinkingWaterConservationPlanSummary.pdf
For more information and videos about Metro Vancouver’s lawn watering regulations, water-wise gardens and for water conservation tips, visit www.metrovancouver.org/services/water/conservation-reservoir-levels/lawn-sprinkling.