G.O. Day - Girls Only Lifestyle Expo
G.O. Day is a day-long expo where a selected group of Grade 9 girls are provided the opportunity to participate in activity workshops, healthy lifestyles workshops and focus groups to discuss barriers to participation in physical activity.
This initiative is planned and delivered in partnership with Vancouver Coastal Health and Richmond School District.
The goal of the Girls Only Lifestyle Expo is to remove barriers that may limit Grade 9 girls from being physically active by:
- engaging girls in activities that they will enjoy for the rest of their lives,
- raising awareness of the importance of physical activity, and
- developing healthy lifelong habits.
At the end of the day, we hope to make a difference by assisting in the development of good recreational habits and a positive attitude toward physical activity.
Why is G.O. Day Important?
A survey conducted by the Richmond School District found a growing decline in the number of girls registering in Grade 11 and 12 physical education (PE) classes.
The event addresses identified needs through four components of the program:
- Healthy lifestyle workshops
- An opportunity to experience a variety of non-traditional physical activities
- Focus group discussions
- Information booth with relevant materials
10-15 Grade 9 girls from each school in Richmond.
G.O. Day Sample Activities
- Hip Hop, Self Defence, Barre Pilates, Snack Attack, Rock Climbing, Tennis, Gymnastics, Jazz and Yoga.
- City of Richmond
- Richmond School District
- Thompson Community Association
- Vancouver Coastal Health