About Building Approvals
The City utilizes a series of regulatory tools to ensure that building and development are carried out in accordance with the Local Government Act, the Land Title Act, and other provincial or municipal legislation.Maintaining Standards
Regulatory tools are in place to ensure that:
- buildings and structures are constructed in a manner which meets minimum life, fire, and health safety requirements.
- appropriate access is provided to property.
- business standards are appropriate to the community.
- nuisances are minimized.
- incompatible land uses have appropriate separation.
To assist property owners, builders and developers in dealing with the regulatory environment, customer services have been consolidated into a central service area at City Hall. Building, Plumbing, Gas, and Fire Sprinkler permits are processed by the Building Approvals Department in the Planning and Development Division.
This section of our web site contains the information guides, application forms, related attachments, notices, schedules, and bulletins required to begin the process of applying for a permit to carry out any building project.
- Bylaws section to view bylaws online, including the Building Regulation Bylaw, the Zoning Bylaw and the Official Community Plan.
- Good Neighbour Program brochure Demographic Hot Facts for information about Richmond.
- If you are starting a business, expanding your current operation or considering Richmond as a new location for your business please see the information links below:
Doing Business in Richmond - Basic Requirements ENGLISH
Doing Business in Richmond - Basic Requirements CHINESE (Simplified)
Doing Business in Richmond - Basic Requirements CHINESE (Traditional)
- If you are a developer, the following documents provide guidance for design and construction standards of City-owned facilities including enhanced accessibility features that exceed the minimum accessibility requirements set out by the BC Building Code:
Building Facilities Design Guidelines
Enhanced Accessibility Design Guidelines
Richmond Child Care Design Guidelines
Most of the publications, bulletins, and forms you may require are available on this website. Others may be obtained from the Customer Service Centre at City Hall. If you require assistance, please visit City Hall or call the Information Centre at 604-276-4000 to be directed to the correct department. For additional information see the Contacts section of this web site.