- Benefits of Dog Licensing
- How to License a Dog
- Dog Licence Renewals
- Update Contact Information
- Payment Options
- Register or Renew Online
- Licence Fees
- More Information
- Provides a dog identification service that allows the City to return your dog if it is lost or stolen.
- Educates the public and responds to animal emergencies.
- Provides statistics on the number of dogs within Richmond to better assess the need for facilities and programs.
- Helps support animal related programs within Richmond such as the BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA).
The City of Richmond encourages responsible pet ownership through licensing, public education and enforcement. Failure to pay your dog licence or dog licence renewal fee may result in a violation notice being issued.
Information for Dog Owners Brochure
How to License & Register a Dog
Submit an application online:
The City of Richmond Bylaw 7138 states all dog owners who reside in Richmond are required to purchase a licence and register their dog(s) that are over the age of eight weeks.
There is a maximum of three (3) dogs per one or two family dwelling and two (2) dogs per multiple family dwelling unit.Things to Remember
- A spayed or neutered document must be provided at the time of licensing to receive the discounted rate.
- Licence fees are non-refundable.
- Licences are not transferable.
Recommended browsers: Internet Explorer 10+, Chrome and Firefox. These systems may not work in Privacy mode in all browsers.Alternatively, applications are accepted through the following methods:
- Download and complete the Dog Licence Application Form or pick up the application form at City Hall (6911 No. 3 Road), Richmond.
Dog Licence Renewals
Renewal reminders are mailed to all previously licensed dog owners within Richmond in December for the upcoming new calendar year.
Dogs must be licensed for every calendar year. Spayed and neutered dogs that have been previously licensed with the City do not require proof of spaying or neutering when renewing a licence.
To renew dog licences online, the account number and access number from the renewal notice mailed out in early November is needed.Dog Licence Updating
Updating of a dog licence account is required if there is a change of address or contact information.
To update a dog licence account:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 604-247-4633
A dog licence is required to be cancelled if:
- your dog has passed away
- your dog has been given to another person
- you have moved out of Richmond
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-247-4633 to cancel a dog licence account.Payment Options
If applying for a new dog licence or an annual renewal, payment can be made using one of the following options:
- By mailing a cheque or money order to Dog Licensing, Animal Protection Services, City of Richmond, 6911 No. 3 Road, Richmond, BC V6Y 2C1
- Online with Visa or Mastercard. Note: For renewals, the account number and access code from the renewal reminder mailed out in early December is required. A new decal will be mailed to you once all outstanding fees are paid.
- Effective Feb 14, 2022, City Hall does not accept cash, payments at City Hall can be made by Visa, Mastercard, Debit or cheque.
Recommended browsers: Internet Explorer 10+, Chrome and Firefox. These systems may not work in Privacy mode in all browsers.
Dogs older than eight weeks old are required to have a licence. The cost of licensing a dog varies based on if the dog is spayed or neutered, if it is deemed dangerous and/or when the licence is purchased.
All licences that are paid before March 1, 2023 are eligible for a discounted rate. For licence renewals, the discounted fee is already reflected on the invoice.
Dog owners aged 65 years or older receive a discounted rate before March 1, 2023. After March 1, 2023, the full licence fee applies. Licence fees below are non-refundable.
|Dogs spayed or neutered Rate|
|Before March 1, 2023||$26.25|
|Before March 1, 2023 (seniors rate)||$13.50|
|On or after March 1, 2023||$39|
|Dogs not spayed or neutered Rate|
|Before March 1, 2023||$64.00|
|On or after March 1, 2023||$89.25|
|Dangerous dogs spayed or neutered Rate|
|Before March 1, 2023||$194|
|Before March 1, 2023 (Seniors Rate)||$96.50|
|On or after March 1, 2023||$256|
|Dangerous dogs not spayed or neutered Rate|
|Before March 1, 2023||$256|
|After March 1, 2023||$318|
|Replacement tag and valid Out-of-Jurisdiction Rate|
Call 604-247-4633 or email email@example.com to inquire about dog licences.