- Benefits of Licensing your Dog
- Dog Licence Renewals
- Update your Contact Information
- Payment Options
- Licence Fees
- More Information
- Educate the public and respond to animal emergencies.
- Provides statistics on the number of dogs within our city to help better assess the need for facilities and programs.
- Licensing revenue helps support animal related programs within our community such as the Regional Animal Protection Society (RAPS).
- **To report a dog in a hot car, please contact RAPS at 604-275-2036 or after 6pm email email@example.com**
The City of Richmond encourages responsible pet ownership through licensing, public education and enforcement. The penalty for an unlicensed dog is up to $325.00. An unlicensed dangerous dog penalty is up to $525.00. Both are subject to court prosecution for up to $10,000.
Information for Dog Owners Brochure
How to License and Register a Dog
City of Richmond Bylaw 7138 states all dog owners who reside in Richmond are required to purchase a licence and register their dog(s) over the age of eight weeks.
There is a maximum of three dogs allowed per single-family dwelling and two dogs per multiple-family dwelling unit.
To license your new dog, you can submit your licence application online:
Things to Remember
- Recommended browsers: Internet Explorer 10+, Safari, Firefox. These systems may not work in Privacy mode in all browsers.
- You must provide a spayed or neutered document at the time of licensing to receive the discounted rate.
- Licence fees are non-refundable.
- Licences are not transferable.
Alternatively, we also accept applications using the following methods:
- Download and complete the Dog Licence Application Form 2019 or pick up the application form at City Hall, located at 6911 No. 3 Road.
Dog Licence Renewals
In December, invoices are mailed to all previously licensed dog owners within the City of Richmond. These invoices are for dog licences for the upcoming new calendar year.
Dogs must be licensed for every calendar year. Spayed and neutered dogs that have been previously licensed with the City do not require proof of spaying or neutering when renewing licence.
To renew your dog licence online, you will need the account number and access number from your renewal notice, mailed out in early December.
How to Cancel your Dog Licence
You will need to cancel your dog licence if:
- Your dog has passed away
- You gave your dog to another person
- You have moved out of the City of Richmond
- By mail to Dog Licensing, Community Bylaws Department, City of Richmond, 6911 No. 3 Road, V6Y 2C1 (Cheque only. Do not mail cash.)
- In person at Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road (Cash, cheque, or debit.)
- In person at Regional Animal Protection Society (RAPS), 12071 No. 5 Road, (Cash, debit or Visa and Mastercard)
- Online with Visa or Mastercard (Note: for renewals you will need the account number and access code from your invoice notice, mailed out in early December). A 2019 decal will be mailed to you once all outstanding fees are paid.
Recommended browsers: Internet Explorer 10+, Safari, Firefox. These systems may not work in Privacy mode in all browsers.
Dogs older than eight weeks of age are required to purchase a licence. The cost of licensing your dog will vary based on whether the dog is spayed or neutered, if it is deemed dangerous, and when you purchase the licence.
All licences that are paid before March 1, 2019 are eligible for a discounted rate. For licence renewals, the discounted fee is already reflected on the invoice.
Dog owners who are aged 65 years or older receive a discounted rate before March 1. After March 1, the full licence fee will apply. Licence fees are non-refundable. Please see fees below.
|Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2019||$24.25 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2019 (Seniors Rate)||$12.25 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2019||$36.25|
|Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2019||$59.75 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2019||$83.25|
|Dangerous Dogs Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2019||$180.00 (Discounted)|
|Before March 1, 2019 (Seniors Rate)||$89.75 (Discounted)|
|On or After March 1, 2019||$239.00|
|Dangerous Dogs Not Spayed or Neutered|
|Before March 1, 2019||$239.00 (Discounted)|
|After March 1, 2019||$297.00|
|Replacement Tag and Valid Out-of-Jurisdiction|