After an Emergency
Immediately After Disaster
Six Basics to do After an Earthquake
- Check for injuries. Provide first aid.
- Check for safety. Check for gas, water, sewer breaks; check for downed electric lines and shorts; turn off appropriate utilities; check for building damage and potential safety problems during after shocks such as cracks around chimney and foundation.
- Clean up dangerous spills.
- Wear shoes.
- Turn on radio and listen for instructions from public safety agencies.
- Do not use the telephone except to report life-threatening emergencies. If you see a phone off the hook, hang it up as an off-the-hook receiver occupies a line and could contribute to the overloading of our telecommunications system.