Blue Cart RecyclingAll multi-level complexes like apartments and condominiums and some townhomes have a recycling depot with Blue Carts for recycling mixed paper, containers and glass. They are generally located in the garbage room or other convenient location. For information about the recycling depot location in your complex, contact your building or property manager.
Blue Cart Recycling Guide
Here's how to use the City's Blue Cart program to recycle at home:
- Sort all recyclable items into the reusable indoor collection bag provided to each unit.
- Take your reusable bag to the collection area for your building and empty them into the Blue Carts available.
- Do not put your recyclables into a plastic bag - place them in the various recycling carts separately, and avoid stacking or nestling items together (e.g. a aluminium tin nestled inside a plastic container).
- Some household items, like propane tanks, and hazardous materials are not accepted as part of curbside or centralized collection. Please contact RCBC Recycling Hotline at 604-732-9253.
- Make sure containers are emptied and rinsed before placing them in the Blue Carts.
- Some carts are collected from a central site each week; however, some are brought to a designated collection area. If your complex requires that carts be moved to a designated collection area, please ensure the carts are there before 7:30 a.m. on collection day, but no earlier than 8:00 p.m. the night before.
- Statutory holidays will not affect collection. The only exception is Christmas Day, where collection may occur one day later if on a weekday.
- Please see the Blue Cart brochure or search the Recycling Wizard for information on what items go in your Blue Carts.
- For missed collection, please call 604-276-4010 or email Environmental Programs.
What goes where
|MIXED PAPER||GLASS JARS & GLASS BOTTLES||MIXED CONTAINERS|
|What to Recycle||
|How to Recycle||
|Do not include||
How to Get an Indoor Collection Bag
There is no charge for new or replacement Blue Cart indoor recycling bags. To get a new or replacement bag, please call 604-276-4010, or pick one up at the following locations:
City Recycling Depot
5555 Lynas Lane
Tuesday to Sunday, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.
(Closed on Mondays & Statutory Holidays)
6911 No. 3 Road
Monday to Friday, from 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(Closed on Weekends & Statutory holidays)
Online request: Select "Need Help" from the Recycling Wizard, then choose "I need to order bins".
Planning Recycling Locations for Multi-Family Buildings
To learn about the City of Richmond's guidelines relating to garbage and recycling for multi-family residential buildings, read the Waste Management Guidelines for Multi-Family and Mixed Use Buildings.
Helpful Links and Resources
Recycling Guide for Centralized Collection Service
Blue Cart Brochure
Blue Cart Brochure (Translated in Traditional Chinese)
Metro Vancouver Recycling Directory