Three Bylaws in Force
Related Bylaws should be consulted for any regulations or requirements for specific business uses. The Business Licence Requirements Bylaw, Business Regulation Bylaw, and Vehicle For Hire Regulation Bylaw can be viewed in the City Bylaws section of this website.
These bylaws may also be viewed or purchased at City Hall.
For new businesses and any changes to issued business licences, except for night market businesses, please complete the, now fillable, Business Licence Application Form and contact the Licence Division for the application fee which must be submitted with the completed form. The application forms have been provided to you in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format and can be saved to your computer or viewed online.
For businesses intending to operate from their residence;
- please see Appendix B and ensure that you review and understand the regulations for operating a business in a residential district
For businesses operating from commercial/industrial districts;
- please also complete Appendix C and submit with the completed business licence application form
For businesses that are Ownership Transfers;
- please complete Appendix D and submit with the completed application form
Appendix A is A Guide to the Business Licence Application Process and can answer some of the more frequently asked questions in the application process.
Information on Operating as a Mobile Vendor in Richmond is also available.
Please note applications cannot be processed unless the forms have been completed in full and all required registrations and/or tickets of qualifications and fees are submitted.
Night Market Application Forms
A night market application form must be completed for each night market location that you will be operating at. Please complete the, now fillable, Night Market Application Form. The application forms have been provided to you in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format and can be saved to your computer or viewed online. Completed applications must be submitted with a copy of the night market contract and the applicable licence fee. Please contact the Business Licence Division for the fee required.
Business Licence Renewals
Business Licences expire on the 1st of every month and a renewal notice will be mailed approximately 30 days prior to the expiry date. This renewal notice is a two-part form; the top portion is the Business Licence for posting and the bottom portion the invoice for payment. Carefully review the notice to ensure all information is correct.
Please note that these options are only for renewals without any changes.
- By Mail - detach the invoice portion of the renewal notice and mail it together with your payment to Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, Richmond, BC V6Y 2C1, attention Business Licence Division.
- Online - click the link below to pay through our website using a credit card. You will be required to provide the licence year number and account number from your current renewal notice.
Renew Your Business Licence
- At your Bank or Credit Union - detach and use the invoice portion of your renewal notice with your payment. If you do electronic banking with your financial institution, use the Account Number found on your current renewal notice (note that this number changes each licence year).
- In Person – bring the invoice portion of the renewal notice with your payment to Richmond City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You may pay with cash, cheque, money order or by using your Interac card.
Changes to Your Licence
If there are changes to your existing licence, a Business Licence Application Form must be completed and submitted to update the business licence. Changes include any amendments to a company name, trade name, address or classification. If a change of ownership has occurred, you must also complete and submit a Transfer of Licence Form.
Changes can be made:
- by email to BusLic@richmond.ca
- by fax to 604-276-4157
- by mail to City of Richmond, Business Licence Division, 6911 No. 3 Road, V6Y 2C1
- in person at Richmond City Hall, during regular business hours Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Your Business Licence must be posted in a conspicuous place as required in the bylaw.
- Vehicles being used for commercial purposes for the collection or delivery, or both, of goods, wares, merchandise, or other commodity in the ordinary course of a business undertaking are required to display a current commercial vehicle decal. Decals can be purchased at any participating district.
- If you will not be operating or have ceased operations during a licence period, please notify the Business Licence office by fax to 604-276-4157 or by email to BusLic@richmond.ca.
- A reprint fee will apply for requests for a copy of a Business Licence
- The bylaws for Business Licence, Business Regulation, Vehicle For Hire, and Commercial Vehicle can be viewed in the City Bylaws section of this website.
Current Year to Date
2013 Richmond - New Business Licences
2012 Richmond - New Business Licences
2011 Richmond - New Business Licences
2010 Richmond - New Business Licences
2009 Richmond - New Business Licences
2008 Richmond - New Business Licences
2007 Richmond - New Business Licences
2006 Richmond - New Business Licences
2005 Richmond - New Business Licences
2004 Richmond - New Business Licences