Building Approvals regulates building construction and design in Richmond through the enforcement of the Provincial Code and National Building Standards and the City’s Zoning, Building and Tree Protection Bylaws to ensure Richmond’s built environment is safe and reflects the City’s planning priorities.
Through the permitting process, building design and construction are reviewed and inspected to ensure that:
- buildings and structures are constructed in a manner which meets minimum life, fire, and health safety requirements.
- appropriate access is provided to property.
- business standards are appropriate to the community.
- nuisances are minimized.
- incompatible land uses have appropriate separation.
- construction complies with City's planning priories. (Review)
- City's urban forest is preserved during construction.
Electronic Applications and InspectionsWe are working to make it easier for you to request and pay for permits online. Apply for your next plumbing or gas permit on MyPermit through your MyRichmond account. To learn more visit MyPermit.
- How to apply for a permit by email
Schedule an inspection and receive application status updates online
Some information on this website includes material obtained from other agencies and levels of government. While every effort is made to ensure that the City is providing the most current material, only the agency or level of government that the material originated from can verify that you have obtained the most up to date version. The City does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the material.