Making a Claim with the City

If the claim relates to property or vehicle damage and you have insurance, report to your insurance company first. Your insurer may then submit a subrogated claim to the City of Richmond seeking compensation for their expenses, including deductibles.

How to Make a Claim

If you wish to make a claim, in accordance with Section 736 of the Local Government Act, you are required to provide notice of claim in writing to the City within two (2) months of the date the loss or damage occurred.

The written notice to the City should include the following information:

  • Your name, home address, telephone number, email address;
  • If this is a property damage claim, confirmation you are the owner of the property;
  • Describe the damage:
  • How it occurred;
  • When it occurred (the exact date and time);
  • Where it occurred (please be specific - include address, street name, direction of travel etc.);
  • Name and contact information of witnesses;
  • Name and contact information of anyone else involved, including contractors, equipment operators;
  • Any photographs of the location and damage; and
  • Other supporting documentation.
Attached is the City Claims Form (fillable PDF). The completed Claims Form should be addressed to:

Law Department

6911 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC V6Y 2C1
Fax: 604-276-4037

Claims Process

Once the City of Richmond receives your notice of claim in writing:

  • You will receive written acknowledgement of your claim submission;
  • The City will forward your claim to the City's liability insurer who will then conduct an investigation into the claim. Depending on the type of claim, it may take several weeks, or longer, to investigate the claim and for a decision to be made; and
  • You will be notified of the decision in writing upon the completion of the investigation.

Compensation is only considered when the person making the claim has provided evidence of legal liability for the injury or damage sustained.

Should you wish to appeal a claims decision, you may do so through the Provincial Court of British Columbia or Supreme Court of British Columbia. The Mayor and/or Council do not handle appeals on claims-related matters.

Click Here to Download Fillable Claims Form