City Bylaws regulate dog ownership (Dog Licensing), as well as how dogs must be housed and controlled. For dog owners and dog walkers the most common regulations can be found in the City's Information for Dog Owners Brochure.
For regulation pertaining to all types of pets, farm animals or wildlife, refer to the appropriate bylaw below:
- Animal Control Bylaw No. 7932 (pet rules)
- Dog Licensing Bylaw No. 7138 (pet fees)
- Parks and School Grounds Regulations Bylaw No. 8771 (off leash areas)
- Business Regulation Bylaw No. 7538 (pet stores)
- Noise Regulation Bylaw No. 8856 (barking dogs)
- Urban Wildlife in Richmond (coyotes, raccoons, snow geese)
City Bylaws regulate cat ownership under Section 2.2 of the Animal Control Regulation Bylaw #7932. Refer to the links below for more information regarding both feral and indoor/outdoor cats:
- What is the solution to pet overpopulation?
- How can I help feral cats in my neighbourhood?
- Caring for cats
Further resources for cat care and behaviour issues:
- Welcoming a new cat into your home
- Introducing your new cat to your resident cat
- Litterbox training your cat
- My cat has stopped using the litter box
- My cat bites me when I pet her, how do I stop her?
Animal Enquiries, Concerns & Investigations
For questions related to animal regulations or to report dogs off-leash, dogs running at large, stray, injured, distressed or dead animals, follow-up on a dog bite, barking dog investigation and all other emergencies, contact:
Hours: Mon-Sun, 7:00am-9:00pm including Statutory holidays (excluding Christmas day)
Email: AnimalServicesRequest@richmond.ca - email concerns monitored 10:00am-6:00pm, daily
After hours, call the RCMP Non-Emergency line at 604-278-1212.