Short Term Residential Rentals
What is a short-term rental in Richmond?
The rental of part of a dwelling unit used to provide overnight stay accommodations for any rental period less than 30 consecutive days in exchange for payment.
Short-term rental operators must register with the City of Richmond in order to operate. The City offers two licence options depending on your property type. The property must meet all the criteria in order to qualify for a business licence.
Option 1: Bed and Breakfast Business Licence Requirements
To qualify for a Bed and Breakfast (B&B) business licence, the following criteria must be met:
- Must be a single detached house (not an apartment, duplex or townhome) operated by the individual registered owner or an immediate family member. Must have written permission from the registered owner.
- The operator must reside in the home as their principal residence.
- Operators must notify neighbours of the proposed B&B rental operation and provide contact information.
- A maximum of three rooms can be rented at the same time.
- Allow a maximum of six guests, two guests per room at any one time.
- A 500-metre distance from existing B&B rentals will be required for all new operations.
Option 2: Boarding and Lodging Business Licence Requirements
To qualify for a Boarding and Lodging business licence, the following criteria must be met:
- Can be a single detached house, duplex, apartment or townhouse.
- Must be operated from your principal residence by the individual registered owner, a director of a corporate registered owner, or have written permission of the registered owner. The operator must live in the home.
- Only allow a maximum of two guests at any one time.
- If in a strata building, obtain written permission from the strata council and abide by all the strata bylaws.
- Must not hold a B&B business licence.
- Hosts are not permitted to provide separate cooking facilities in the guest rooms.
- Not permitted in a secondary suite, coach house or granny flat.
Read the Short-term Residential Rentals Guide for more details.