Address Information

The following information will provide some insight into why your address is critical, who assigns addresses, how they are assigned and if they can be changed.

How Critical Is Your Address?

In an emergency, can the Fire, Police or Ambulance find you? For emergency response, every second is critical.

It is very important that your home or business address be properly numbered (addresses which have been assigned by the City only) and that it is clearly visible day and night.

We require that:

  • Numbers be large enough, a minimum of 4" high and 1/2" wide, and placed where they can be easily seen and read from the street.
  • Numbers be illuminated or reflective so they can be seen at night.
  • Numbers be displayed in lanes where such access exists.
  • Numbers be kept free of foliage, trees and other obstructions.
  • Numbers be placed on a contrasting background.

Observance of these simple guidelines could help to save your property, even your life!

How Are Addresses Assigned?

The City of Richmond is on a grid road system. Numbers in the 1000 - 12000 blocks run North to South and numbers in the 2000 - 23000 blocks run West to East. Odd numbers are on the North and West sides of the street and even numbers are on the South and East sides.

Numerical unit addresses for commercial, industrial and multi-residential buildings are assigned to new buildings upon application for a building permit. Unit numbers are assigned in the '100' series for ground floor areas, in the '200' series for the second floor and the '300' series for the third floor, and so on, in increments of 5 - 10 to allow for tenant area expansion or reduction. For emergency and safety reasons, the skipping of floor numbers is discouraged.

Townhouses however are numbered in increments of '1' starting on the right as you enter the property. The City of Richmond neither recognizes or assigns letters of the alphabet to street addresses or unit numbers.

I Need a Unit Number Assigned to My Place of Business

When a building permit application is received creating a new unit, the City will then assign a new unit number.

Property Address

  • A single family dwelling is assigned one property address.
  • A two-family dwelling (duplex) has two addresses.
  • Properties with two or more main buildings may have more than one address. These are known as 'additional' addresses. Each tenant area within the buildings is assigned a numerical unit number.
  • The address displayed must only be a City assigned address.

Can I Change My Address?

An address will only be changed if:

  1. An existing or new house is located on a corner lot and the main access (front door) is to the other street;
  2. The property is being consolidated or subdivided (if the existing house remains only the new lot will get a new address; if the old house is demolished and two new houses are built either one or two new addresses will be assigned);
  3. Where there is a major problem getting access to the building in case of Emergency Response, Canada Post or other delivery services; or
  4. If an error was made in assigning the original number.

For A or B above there is a charge of $334.00 per new address created.

For C or D above there is no charge since the address change is initiated by the City.

Address changes as a result of a personal preference on the part of the property owner are discouraged for any other reason, i.e. superstition and religious beliefs, numerology, etc.

How Do I Proceed?

Address Change Requests

Requests for an address change may be made by completing a Request for a Change of Address Form:

Request for a Change of Address DA-30

"Additional" Address Requests

Requests for an "additional" address for another main building on the same property, should be directed, in writing from the owner, to the Planning & Development Division, Property Records Clerk. Please state the reason for the request and include an updated site plan of all the buildings on the property showing existing doors and driveways.

Request for Additional Address: Secondary Suite / Coach House

As of March 23, 2020, owners of single family dwellings have the option to apply for an address to be added to a new or existing secondary suite.

  • A single family dwelling currently has one main civic address. An "additional address" may be assigned to legal secondary suites and/or coach houses.
  • All requests for new or existing legal suites will be charged a non-refundable fee.
  • Owners of new legal suites will apply for an additional address as part of their Building Permit application. This fee will be addressed at the time of the Building Permit application.
Legal suite(s) existing prior to Mar 23, 2020 New legal suite(s) with Building Permits issued after Mar 23, 2020
Process Submit application form to City Hall Non-refundable addressing fee will be included at Building Permit stage
Cost Non-refundable $50.00 Non-refundable $50.00
Application Details Fill out "Request for Change of Address" Form

In person or by mail:
City of Richmond
Attn. Building Permits
6911 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC V7C 2C1
Fill out "Request for Change of Address" Form

In person or by mail:
City of Richmond
Attn. Building Permits
6911 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC V7C 2C1
  • Legal secondary suites will be assigned an "additional address." The primary dwelling will retain the civic address and the additional address will receive a designated suffix of "A" or "B" depending on the address type.

    Please see the chart below for reference:
Additional Address Assignment
Additional Address Type Secondary Suite Coach House
Designation A B
New Address Format Existing Address – A
6911A Granville Street

Townhouse example:
#1A 6911 Granville Street
Existing Address – B
6911B Granville Street

Townhouse example:
#1B 6911 Granville Street
  • A secondary suite must comply with all City bylaws and Building Code prior to receiving an address.

Request for Additional Address: Secondary Suite/Coach House (DA-37)

Who Is Responsible For Addresses?

Assignment of all addresses in the City is the responsibility of the Planning & Development Division. This includes the control and assignment of unit numbers for tenant areas in commercial, industrial and multi-family buildings.

The City liaises closely with Canada Post and Richmond Fire-Rescue to maintain an addressing format that will easily identify properties in the whole community both for existing and future development.

For further information please contact the City of Richmond, Property Records Clerk, at 604-276-4314.

Address Information - DA-B-1

A Word of Caution

To avoid a costly mistake when you move into an existing building location, please confirm your address and unit number with the Planning & Development Division, Property Records Clerk at 604-276-4314 before using your address.