William Cook Elementary School

William Cook Elementary School (1954- ) was built near what was to become the downtown core in Richmond, on Cook Road near Garden City.

William Cook Elementary School, 2004.

William Cook Elementary School in 2004.
City of Richmond Archives Photograph
2004 43 176.

Cook got its name from a pioneer, William Stanley Cook (1859-1940), who in 1906 bought 40 acres of land in Richmond. The land fronted No. 3 Road near Brighouse centre, and the Cook family farmed this land until 1925.

Cook was born in Nova Scotia and travelled around Cape Horn to Vancouver by ship because the Panama Canal had not yet been completed. After his arrival in Vancouver in 1883, he became a successful businessman through interests in hotels, logging, and other construction activities.