B.W. Garratt Elementary School

B.W. Garratt School, 2004.

B.W. Garratt School in 2004. It had been boarded up following closure in 2003.
City of Richmond Archives Photograph 2004 43 185.
B.W. Garratt, ca. 1893.

B.W. Garratt, circa 1893.
The photograph was taken
during the time he was
Reeve of Richmond.
City of Richmond Archives
Photograph 1985 19 5.

B.W. Garratt Elementary School (1959-2003) was closed because of budget tightening in 2003.

The school was named after B. William Garratt (also spelled ‘Garrett’), who moved from Saskatchewan to Lulu Island in 1888. He bought 200 acres from his brother-in-law and began farming near where the school was to be located.

Mr. Garratt served as a Councillor in Richmond in 1889, 1890 and 1896 and headed Council as the Reeve from 1893 to 1895.