Walter Lee Elementary School
Walter Lee Elementary School (1960- ) began as an annex to James Whiteside School on its completion in 1960. By 1967, the school was operating independently after ten classrooms and a gymnasium were added.
Walter Lee (1825-1899) arrived in Richmond in 1874 from New Zealand, via the United States, having participated in the California Gold Rush.
Mr. Lee and Thomas Kidd pooled their resources in order to purchase land in the South Arm district near the Fraser River sloughs. Walter Lee was one of those who signed the petition for the incorporation of Richmond in 1879 and served on its first Council.