Residential Rentals

Short Term Rentals

In Richmond, residents can offer two types of short term rentals (less than 30 days) in their home – Bed and Breakfast rentals or Boarding and Lodging rentals. Both types of short term rentals require a permit.

Bed and Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast (B&B) Licence Requirements

  • B&Bs can only exist in Single-family detached homes that do not contain secondary suites, granny flats or coach houses.
  • B&Bs are not permitted in homes that already have boarding and lodging.
  • B&Bs must be operated by the property owner or an immediate family member, such as spouse or child.
  • The house must be the principal residence of the owner/operator, and the operator must provide annual verification of residency as part of the licence renewal process.
  • Operators must notify neighbours of the proposed short term residential rental operation and provide contact information.
  • Up to three rooms can be rented at the same time, with a maximum of two guests per room.A 500-metre buffer from existing B&B rentals will be required for all new operations.
Apply for a Bed & Breakfast Business Licence

Have the following information ready when applying for a Bed and Breakfast (B&B) business licence:

PDF Document Business Licence Application Form
  • Identification: Must prove that either the owner of the home or an immediate family member resides in the home.
  • Floor Plans of the Home: Plans must be drawn to scale and show the entire floor area of all levels of the residence proposed to be used for the B&B. Plans must further indicate the use of each room and clearly label those rooms proposed to be used for the B&B.
  • Fire Evacuation Plan: Show each room proposed to be part of the B&B including exits, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors. Fire evacuation plans must be posted in each bedroom in a B&B. showing each room proposed to be rented.
  • Landscaping and Site Plan: Plan must show landscaping elements, hard-surfacing (asphalt, concrete, pavers etc.), patios and architectural elements (fencing, walls, etc.).
  • Parking Plan: Identify vehicle parking spaces for residents of the home and parking spaces for B&B guests.
  • Signage: Include a PDF Application for Sign Permit for any signs to be included to identify the B&B business.
  • Notification Letter: Provide a sample of the notification letter that will be provided to neighbours.
    Guest Registration Form: Include a copy of the registration form that will be used to record information from guests.
Boarding and Lodging

This applies when the short term rental involves no more than two people at a time. Criteria for a Boarding and Lodging License include, but are not limited to:

  • The operator must be a registered individual owner of the premises, a director of a registered corporate owner, or have the permission of a registered owner.
  • The premises must be the operator's principal residence
  • If the premises are a strata lot, the operator must have the permission of the strata council
  • The operator must not provide boarding and lodging to more than two (2) guests at one time
  • The operator must not provide or install any equipment or facilities (used for food preparation) in any bedroom or sleeping unit intended for guest accommodations

Find further information regarding boarding and lodging applications can be found on the City's Bylaws listing, see the following:

  • Bylaw No. 7360 - Business Licence (Section 2.5)
  • Bylaw No. 7538 - Business Regulation (Section 23)

Short term rental of an entire house or residential unit for less than 30 days is not permitted under any circumstances.
Long term rentals of more than 30 days are allowed in residential-zoned properties (single-family and multi-family) as long as there are no B&B operations in the home.

Contact the Business Licence Department to apply for a Bed and Breakfast or Lodging License or to find out more information.

  • In-person at City Hall, 6911 No. 3 Road, 8:15 am-5:00 pm, Mon-Fri (excluding statutory holidays)
  • 604-276-4328