Kathleen McNeely Elementary School
Kathleen McNeely Elementary School (1991-) was built to relieve the overcrowding at Mitchell School because of the rapid growth of the subdivisions near Jacombs and Cambie Roads.
Kathleen (Kate) McNeely (1891-1964) began teaching in 1910 at the age of 19 at the English school on Steveston Highway. In 1913, she became principal at Bridgeport School, making her the first female principal in Richmond and quite possibly in all of British Columbia.
Besides being an administrator, she was expected to teach full time as well. During the Spanish influenza pandemic of 1918, she volunteered her time in caring for the sick; and, during the Depression of the 1930s, she helped to initiate a school cafeteria program to help feed her students.
She retired in 1948 after a life dedicated to education and social causes.